Sunday, March 12, 2006

Meyer California Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon

We went to a Meyer Corporation event tonight that featured wines from the CEO's estate in Napa Valley. All I can say is WOW! Their Chardonnay was very complex and buttery without being overly oaked. I think we might have to write more about it later, but I'd say it was easily in the low 90s. The Cabernet was awesome. It was totally open right out of the bottle, but with the promise of more complexity to come with cellaring/aerating. I'd rate it 94 based on what we tasted, not far behind the Phelps Insignia. WOW, wow, double wow. What a great wine. Black fruit, beautiful tannin balance. Wonderful.

1 comment:

Jeff and Natalie said...

Jeff and I really enjoyed this little work perk. I don't think we'll be able to buy any bottles of our own because of the steep price. The host of the evening was sure to let us know that the bottles retail around $230 at Chicago restaurants. I think we drank at least that much in value during our evening at the Meyer event. ;-)
-Natalie